Friday 15 April 2011

Yer a half-wit son, and that's an insult to wits

My second step on the path to Junior enlightenment was a trip to Adamslie Park to see Kirkintilloch Rob Roy - the second of my three shortlisted teams as I search for a club to support forever more.

Adamlsie Park, Kirkintilloch Rob Roy's home ground.

The next home fixture scheduled was a Super League Premier Division game against Pollok on Saturday, 9th April 2011. I had already missed out on a 2-1 win against Irvine Meadow in the West of Scotland Cup due to other commitments - fajitas and good company - and I was looking forward to this one.

However I had a couple of items on my to-do list before the game. First up was to see if my father-in-law wanted to join me. I knew that Rangers weren't at Ibrox that day so he'd be free and he's a local so wouldn't mind contributing to the Rob Roy cause. There was still a niggling doubt though which I suppose was down to his response when i invited him along to watch Clydebank: "What do I want to see the fucking juniors for?" The offer of paid entrance, a pie and a pint didn't even work. I asked him anyway and to my surprise the big man said he'd come along.

The second thing was to get some local knowledge from my missus about the ground and more importantly where to get a pint. I knew the bus dropped you off either at the ground or near the high street depending on the bus route and the train drops you in Lenzie. So I asked: how long to walk from Lenzie (thinking Carriages pub)? Oof - at least an hour. You sure? Ok, how long from Kirky High Street (thinking of the 'Spoons)? Oh, that's ages away - you couldn't walk it. Really? I didn't think Kirkintilloch was too big a place. Oh, it is. I'll give you a lift. Fair enough - I'm not daft enough to pass up a lift.

So on the Saturday I get a lift to Adamslie but of course I'm about 50 minutes early on top of this my good lady pulls into the car park, takes a look at the ground and bursts out laughing. It seems street cred is in short supply with the juniors. It might be a while before Adidas and Snoop Dogg come calling. In return for her insensitivity I demanded a lift to a pub - any pub - and two minutes later I was outside the Stables - a beautiful pub sitting on the banks of the canal with a massive beer garden and tons of rural, rustic charm. It was hoaching because of the sunshine but I managed to get a seat inside with a pint of "Proper Job" from the St. Austell brewery. I was in St. Ives, Cornwall, last year and have fond memories of the local brew also from St. Austell. I was conscious of my time so this pint wasn't savoured too much before I started back for the game. Unfortunately a two minute car ride turned into the equivalent of a fifteen minute, sweat riddled march in the heat but I made it with five minutes to spare before kick-off.

On the road again. The march from the Stables to Kirky


My first impressions of Adamslie were good. The pitch was in cracking condition, the terracing area was more than adequate for its purpose and the atmosphere felt warm and friendly. There was a decent crowd - a few hundred - but I'd say most of the folk around me were Pollok fans who'd even more on the far side of the pitch behind the away dugout. Also on the far side (opposite the pavilion and stand) were sat two guys in their mid to late twenties behind the fence, on the hill enjoying a liquid picnic and a free game. I couldn't believe you'd get free-loaders when it was only a fiver entry. Sadly there was no match programme but the team sheets were written on a sheet of paper, laminated and pinned to a wall near the entrance. It was too crowded at the start to get a proper look and I forgot to go back to it at the end. Therefore the following match report will be sketchy on names but high on mystery and intrigue.

My father-in-law turned up, first having caught up with insulting his cronies, and the game started at a good, fast pace. You could see both teams were up for this. I felt the Rabs were edging it when Pollok won a corner on their left side. I was standing in line with the bye-line and had a fantastic view of the Lok winger's inswinging corner. It bent right over the keeper - who was nowhere - and was heading straight in to the bottom corner before the Pollok No. 8, Roddy Hunter, stuck his foot on it and made sure on 8 minutes. Great strikers instinct or mooching? A bit of both but it shouldn't have got anywhere near him if the Rab's No.1 had of jumped.

To their credit the Rabs came back at Pollok with some good passing and pressure play. It paid off with an equaliser in the 14th minute. Left winger Brian MacKay was released down the left and he duly powered into the box showing great pace followed by composure by cutting back to Craig Feroz (No.9) who slotted home well past scrambling defenders with the Lok goalie taken completely out the game by MacKay's lay off.

In keeping with the see-saw nature of the half it was Pollok's turn to put pressure on KRR. They made the breakthrough five minutes before half-time down the right wing where a good passing combination put the No.11 clear of the full back. The Lok winger put in a dangerous cross that looped over the goalie to the back post where it found its way to Iain Diack (No.9). The attacker stretched to fire a low shot to the near post which somehow found its way past the goalie via his crotch. From where I was watching I didn't realise/believe it had gone in.

The other highlight of the first half for me was the incessant chat from two men and a woman behind us. I say highlight but that came when they buggered off taking their pretentious prattle with them.

Half-time: 1-2

At half time it was tempting to not move a muscle other than to take a seat in the sun as the weather continue to be beautiful. However I had read there was a pie stand beside the pavilion which I was keen to test out - for research purposes only, of course. On my way there I noticed a queue of guys heading into a portacabin behind the pavilion and sussed it must be the bogs although beyond the main stand was a walled off area with "Gents" written on it too. Confused I made my way to the food and got a pie (£1) and a can of juice (50p) for me and the big man. The pie was delicious as was the bru in that heat. Another plus point was the number of big bins available. I hate littering almost as much as standing holding finished food packaging. The only thing that spoiled a fine half-time was the raffle. My father-in-law had bought a strip of tickets but no announcement was made about them. I was hoping that he'd win to put a smile on his coupon.

The second half kicked off in the sunshine and was memorable for some glaring misses from the Lok. The visitors had two or three really good chances to win the game but in fact it was the Rabs who equalised on 74 minutes. Kirkintilloch Rob Roy had brought on a wee winger, Gary Gow (No. 14) who's delivery from corners was excellent. I must say the standard of corners and free kicks that I've seen so far at Junior Level would put their Senior counterparts to shame. How many times do you watch a game on the telly and corners are constantly hitting the first man or go straight out? It was from a fine corner from Gow the goal was scored. The ball in teased the goalie into thinking about it but instead landed on the head of Feroz who bagged his brace with a great leap and finish. The striker followed his goal with a celebration dance that resembled hand puppetry without the dolls. It was just desserts after a period of good pressure from KRR. Yet instead of pushing for the a winner while on top of the game the Rabs found themselves letting Pollok back into it. As stated before the chances that Pollok put high, wide and handsome could have won it for them but over the course of the game a draw was a fair result for both teams.

Full-time: 2-2

Before finishing with the match I'd like to highlight KRR's midfielder Paul McQuilken, who was wearing the No.8 shirt for this match. In my opinion he was a stand out in this game - one of the few players who took the ball comfortably, was happy to keep possession, always looking for a pass and very capable of beating his man. I was very impressed and from what other Rabs fans are saying it wasn't a one off this season neither.

Also an honorable mention to the linesman (nearest the pavilion) who proved there's only one thing funnier than watching a scotch egg with legs running flat out and that's one carrying a wee flag.

Next game for me:

Petershill at home to Kilbirnie Ladeside on 23rd April 2011. Relegation Battle.

Related Links

Full Match Report on Rob Roy Website ¦ Pollok Website

Match highlights on YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment